Out & About
Kat’s Ten Favourite Baby Products
Betsy turns one today and while I’m busy marvelling at the speed a year flashes by I thought it would be fun to collect my absolute favourite baby products in one post. These are the products that see day in day out use from newborn to newly one, they work hard and have design credentials too. Many of these have seen me through all three babies, some I was only lucky enough to discover third time around. Each and everyone item has a fan in me.
1. Lansinoh HPA Lanolin is like manna from heaven for newly breastfeeding nipples. You may only need it for a few weeks, you may need it longer; either way this strange sticky substance is the business. While we’re talking boobs – they make the best breast pads I’ve tried as well.
2. Nights can be tough with a newborn and I’m not one for adding to that with getting in and out of bed every time I need to feed them. The Bednest is a co-sleeping cot which adjusts to your bed. You can read my full write up but suffice to say it lets you sleep together without actually sharing a bed.
3. I don’t know where we’d be without Aden & Anais big muslins. I use them as blankets, to put under the baby when feeding, as a light cover up on the pram and so much more. My older children use them for all sorts from dens to comfort blankets to capes. They are made from the softest cotton which gets more snuggly with every wash. Not only do they make the best muslins but their sleeping bags rock as well. Available at Sisters Guild.
4. I always have a sling on hand either for quick trips out and about or for those times when the baby simply must be close to you. I have quite the collection but the one I get the most use from is my Ellaroo Ring Sling which is quick to throw on and comfortable to wear. Mr Kat prefers the Belle Baby Carrier.
5. I have pushed a lot of prams in the last five years. Some I liked, some I loathed but the one which I loved best of all was the Stokke Xplory. I actually surprised myself here but the lightness of handling and closeness to the baby is beyond compare. Betsy is in agreement here and she loves to travel close to Mama. Wherever we go people come to talk to us about the Xplory – they love it, we love it.
6. If I had to pick only one toy for a baby it would be a Skwish. The deign is innovative, babies engage with it in so many ways and I just love the colour burst version.
7. I have used Earth Friendly Baby since Milla was given a bottle when she was born. It is gentle and free from unpleasant chemicals found in many mainstream products. I love the light scents and there isn’t a product they make which I don’t love for our babies.
8. Another product from Stokke – the iconic Tripp Trapp which turns 40 this year. With the newborn and baby sets Betsy will have used it near daily from the day she came home to blowing out her candles this evening. It brings your baby into the heart of family mealtimes and lasts a lifetime. You can see Betsy exploring her first foods in her Tripp Trapp here.
9. You know I love fun clothing for my children and for babies you can’t beat rompers in my book (check out Betsy’s style here). Molo make the most eye catching prints around and I can’t get enough of them. Not only do they look great but they are wonderful quality and wear really well so I have rompers worn by all three children which are still in superb condition. Take a look at: Nordic Kids, Love it Love it Love it, JuicyTots and Peter and Jane for a good selection of this season’s offerings and TKMaxx where I’ve often seen previous seasons on sale.
10. Sometimes you need to use a product to really appreciate it. Flexibath was like that for me. Betsy was sent one as a new baby gift from the lovely team at Achica. It’s both sturdy and flexible so although it folds flat when it’s in use there’s no movement. The clips holds it in place when you’re not using it and as it’s flat you can easily take it on holiday or store in small spaces. Brilliant design.
There may be a few big ticket items in my list but I maintain that good design holds its value. Look after them well and you should be able to sell them on when your baby days are over.
Tagged Achica, Aden & Anais, Bednest, Ellaroo, Flexibath, Juicytots, Lansinoh, Little Possums, Love It Love It Love It, Manhatten Toys, Molo, Nordic Kids, Peter and Jane Store, Sisters Guild, Skwish, Stokke, Stokke Tripp Trapp, Stokke Tripp Trapp Newborn Set, Stokke Xplory, TK Maxx