Bambino Goodies

Life

Inspiration: Yarn Balloons and Paper Lanterns for Party Decorations

rainbows and unicorn party

yarn balloons

Saria ‘the bambino’ was four a couple of days ago and we’re having a little party for her on Saturday and I’ll be making some of these fantastic yarn balloons that I spotted over at Juicy Bits blog, where Jessica threw a unicorns and rainbows party for her daughter. The instructions are over at Family Fun although there does seem to be debate over type of glue (I’ll be using ‘craft’ glue – ie decent PVA as I have no clue where to buy starch) and I will report back imminently.

paper lanterns at Martha Stewart
Over at Martha Stewart, they have these paper lanterns which are made using one of those bog standard paper lantern shades you can pick up in the likes of Ikea and most DIY stores, tissue paper circles and double sided tape. My first thought was “Oh hell to the fecking NO! I’m not cutting out all those circles!” But it turns out you can buy such things on Amazon as well as Earlyyearsathome, or Homecrafts Direct (you need to scroll down the page for some weird reason), plus no doubt a decent sized craft shop sells these. Or you can cut the circles out yourself. Colour fiend that I am, I suggest going for bold brights. Incidentally, these would look great at a baby shower.
Also for other ideas of what you can do with one of these lanterns, check out our recent post on bunting lanterns.

FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites

Tagged , , , , ,

10 Comments

1. LucyJune 2, 2011 at 2:55 pmReply

Love these. Might have to just make some for myself!

• NatalieJune 3, 2011 at 6:26 amReplyAuthor

Indeed Lu! Great budget decor!

2. LianneJune 2, 2011 at 8:38 pmReply

That looks fantastic !
    Maybe you can use wallpaper paste to make the yarn balloons , like with making papier-mache shapes ?

• NatalieJune 3, 2011 at 6:26 amReplyAuthor

I agree Lianne – wallpaper paste should work in theory! I’m doing mine today so I shall update!

3. NatalieJune 2, 2011 at 9:49 pmReply

oh MY SUPER GOSH!! i had a rainbow party for william a few years ago and i did NOTHING this cool! i so have to make yarn balloons too… JUST BECAUSE! oh and the tissue paper shades look rocking too! i saw some circles pre cut on viking direct recently, was wanting to buy them for no reason, but now i’m just going to have to buy them!!!!!! ;-) x

• NatalieJune 3, 2011 at 6:25 amReplyAuthor

Ooh forgot all about Viking! I knew you’d love this Miss Rainbow Fiend!

4. JackJune 14, 2011 at 1:00 amReply

Very clever looking decorations! I sure hope they are easy enough for my kids to do so they can help put together their own partys!

5. AnneJuly 22, 2011 at 3:35 amReply

Would love to know how the glue worked…

6. Paper Lanterns For WeddingsAugust 5, 2011 at 9:21 amReply

The yarn balloons are amazing! Can we make them on our own?

• NatalieAugust 8, 2011 at 8:29 amReplyAuthor

Yes you can – very cool to do! Follow the link in the post for instructions.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note we don't accept comments that are of a promotional or advertising nature (it's unfair to someone we have featured to hijack their post), nor do we accept spam, and please be respectful towards the author of the post, other commenters, or the person featured.

GET A DAILY UPDATE OF POSTS BY EMAIL
More Bambino Goodies

Disclaimer
Please note that all prices quoted on product posts are correct at time of publishing.
Published By CrackerJack Productions

Copyright 2007 - 2014 Bambino Goodies/Crackerjack Productions, All rights reserved.

Design by Lula Creative. Written permission is needed for resuse of logo or images where the original owner of the work has asserted their own copyright terms.